Tuesday, March 11, 2014

My Our Lady of Fatima University- College of Medicine Interview Experience

 
So another medical school that I applied for was Our Lady of Fatima University (OLFU)- college of medicine. They've been one of the known medical schools in the Philippines for having outstanding students that topped the physician licensure exam as well as one of the top performing school too.
 
What kind of institution is the Our Lady of Fatima University (OLFU)- college of medicine?
 
The mission was "Improve man as a man" which means they go down to the student's level, together rise to the top. They believe that not all are born with a brilliant mind and believed in equal opportunity which means that they accept students regardless of there previous academic performance. They also believe that NMAT and entrance exam are not measured of the student's capacity and that it could be developed.
 
They also have globalization affiliation and clerkship trainings at Brooklyn Hospital Center, Peninsula Hospital Center in New York, Jackson Park Hospital in Chicago, and Harbor Hospital in Baltimore, all in the United States of America; and SIN-LIU Christian Medical Center, Yuan's General Hospital, Cathay General Hospital, Tuig's Metro Hospital, Taichung Veteran's Hospital, Taipei University Medical Center, and Yang Ming City Municipal Hospital in Taiwan. 
 
Accreditations and Achievements
  • Fully accredited by the Association of the Philippine Medical Colleges
  • Listed in the World Health Organization Geneva Recognized Medical Schools
  • Has an ongoing clerkship program with the Harbor Hospital in Baltimore and Jackson Park Chicago USA
  • Accredited by Illinois State Board of Education
  • Accredited by New York State Board of Education
  • Recognized by California Quality Health Assurance
  • Competent alumni placed in key hospitals in the Philippines and aboard
  • Garnering topnotchers in the Physician Licensure Exam in the Philippines
  • Top 8 performing medical school in the Physician Licensure Exam last August 2013  

My Experience in applying and interview
 
 The people from the admission in the college of medicine was very accommodating. When I gave my application documents to them they give a piece of paper and asked me to pay to the cashier for the for 500php. After that they gave me a form that has questions that I need to fill-up. It says Interview paper so I thought that it was just a survey. The questions are the basic questions that ask when your in an actual interview like personal background, strength and weaknesses, likes and dislikes, why medicine?, and why Fatima?.
 
So after I fill-up all the questions on the form they asked me to come back  at around 1pm. Then I wonder why? I thought that they will reschedule me for an interview that day. So when I comeback to the admission they told me to wait and that they will call me later. Then my mom joking that I might have an on the spot interview and I was obscure about it.
 
Then after a minute they called me. I entered the admission room and there was a doctor holding the form that I fill-up and I was shocked at that moment. My mom was right. How ironic that I'm just wearing a casual clothes with a messy hairdo. The doctor told me to sit down and I greet her and shake her hands while I comb my hair using my fingers. That moment I'm afraid that I might messed up my interview because I'm not physically and mentally prepared.
 
The doctor said "I'm not going to speak to you in a formal way, lets just have a normal conversation and you can used any language that you like to use as long as you speak in human words" and she started to laugh. She was kind and accommodating. She make sure that I'm comfortable before she starts to question me. The questions was what I write on the form that I passed.  Then after that she asked me that if 5 years from now what specialization are you going to take? I said that I'm interested in taking neurologist. She said that it is just a sub specialization that I must take Internal medicine first for 3 years before being a neurologist. I saw her white coat that says anesthesiology and asked her how long it takes to be a anesthesiologist and she says that same goes with the neurologist. That I need to go through my sub specialization before I become an anesthesiologist.  She was kind and she keeps joking about my name because I have a same name of a newscaster. She also keep asking me If I have a blood related to this senator because we have the same surname which is unique. Then after that I thanked her and shaked her hand. She hold my shoulder and told me that "I need to study hard and that I can enroll now".
 
Then after that I asked the lady in the admission If it's ok that I don't enroll that day and she told me I can enroll anytime. So all in all the people in the OLFU were kind and accommodating which is I really like. But, I'm still not sure if I will enroll in this institution because its really far from my house and I don't know if my parents will let me stay in a dormitory. I'm still waiting for the other medical school that I applied.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 So that's all, I hope that somehow I enlighten you guys. Thank you for dropping by aspiring doctors!!~

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jess,
    How are you doing? Thank you for your informative blog Po.Where did you finally enroll? Your reply will be helpful since I aspire to enroll this year.

    Thank you & God bless
    Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi ...i have a question po ..may requirement po ba ang olfu sa GWA.NMAT CUT OFF and mga subject units if ever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NMAT Exam for them its i think for compliance and formality regardless of what score you had you will be still admitted.

      Delete
  3. do you know if where can i get their application form online? and if the enrollment is going on and until when?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing such wonderful information related to this topic. Your writing style is good and the way you present facts is impressive. I have also done an article on Medical College Ranking In Ukraine. Please visit our website Medical College Ranking In Ukraine to read that article. There are some more facts and info about the topic. Also please tell us how was it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing such wonderful information related to this topic. Your writing style is good and the way you present facts is impressive. I have also done an article on International School of Medicine(ISM).There are some more facts and info about the topic. Also please tell us how was it.

    ReplyDelete